So, on Fridays, I like to give myself the following challenge: Make a new delicious vegan pasta sauce, from whatever happens to be in the pantry, in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta. I do not usually plan ahead. The challenge starts when I enter the kitchen and put the pasta pot on the burner.
Tonight's recipe was a great success, so I thought I'd share.
Spinach and Walnut Pesto Penne
Set salted water to boil for pasta.
Heat in a sauce pot over medium-high heat
- 1 or 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 C frozen spinach
- 1/2 C frozen peas
Add to pot
- 1/4 C (leftover) Chardonnay or other white wine
- 1 14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 16 oz pasta (I prefer whole wheat penne)
- 2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 C fresh, snipped basil, or 6 cubes/teaspoons frozen basil
- 3/4 C walnut pieces
- 1 t salt or to taste
- 1/2 t freshly ground pepper or to taste
- 1/4 t hot pepper sauce (optional)
Pour walnut pesto into spinach-tomato sauce. Mix and cook until heated through.
Serve over pasta.
Serves 6 to 8.
Anyone else want to take the challenge and share your recipe?